Re: [exim] MX record exists but exim says "HOST_NOT_FOUND"

Author: Toby Chamberlain
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] MX record exists but exim says "HOST_NOT_FOUND"
>> mail.xxxxxxx.com 65995 IN CNAME server.xxxxxx.com
>>    server.xxxxxx.com 42508 IN A   222.333.44.55 (this is a public IP)

>Well that's wrong like I said. The MX records should be defined as A
>records. Rename >your MX record to server.xxxxx.com or make mail.xxxxx.com
>an A record for >222.333.44.55.

I have tried changing it to an A record, but it didn't fix the problem. The
setup is now this:

#dig -tmx localnet
;; ANSWER SECTION:
localnet.               86400   IN      MX      20
mail.webtechservices.com.au.

#dig -ta mail.webtechservices.com.au
;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.webtechservices.com.au. 86309 IN   A       220.245.210.97

...and exim -d -bt toby@localnet still gives:

dnslookup router called for toby@localnet
domain = localnet
DNS lookup of localnet (MX) gave HOST_NOT_FOUND
returning DNS_NOMATCH
<snip>
toby@localnet is undeliverable:
Unrouteable address

If dig on the same machine can get the MX, why can't exim?

>Also next time don't obfuscate. Without the actual info we can only go by
>what you write >instead of looking things up for ourselves. Generally makes
>this process much slower.

My apologies about the hidden network info... it's a habit I picked up from
the OpenSwan mailing lists.

Toby