Re: [exim] rejected messages get delivered nonetheless

Author: theo doukas
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] rejected messages get delivered nonetheless
Magnus Holmgren schrieb:
> On Tuesday 17 April 2007 14:29, theo doukas wrote:
>> I'm seeing log messages like this frequently:
>>
>> 2007-04-17 13:34:10 SMTP protocol synchronization error (next input sent
>> too soon: pipelining was advertised): rejected "" H=(******) [******]
>
> Sorry, we can't help you since you replaced the host addresses and the message
> content in this log entry with stars (*).

Sorry - I didn't see the "Don't Obfuscate" policy before. I figured it
wouldn't help much to include the IP Adress of my mail server (H=...
[...]) and parts of the message text.

> But you're saying that "next input" is the beginning of the message (i.e. the
> first header line)? I thought Exim didn't even enforce synchronization at
> that point until just recently. Can you supply more log lines? It may help if
> you set log_selector = +all.

This "next input" line above doesn't refer to the message header, but a
part of the message body. The message headers are being processed
allright, but it chokes somewhere in the middle of the message body.

[snip]

>> Am I doing something obvious wrong? How can I tell exim not to deliver
>> messages that have been rejected in the first place?
>
> You shouldn't have to. A synchronization error means a 554 (permanent failure)
> from Exim and a dropped connection. It's quite impossible that Exim has
> spooled the message the sync error pertains to. More likely, the sending host
> successfully delivers a message, then does something that triggers the sync
> error, and erroneously interprets the 554 as if the message were rejected.

Thanks for the explanation; this interpretation seems plausible. I'll
set the log_selector to +all as you suggested and will see if this gives
more details about what's going on.