Re: [exim] rejected messages get delivered nonetheless

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] rejected messages get delivered nonetheless
On Tuesday 17 April 2007 14:29, theo doukas wrote:
> I'm seeing log messages like this frequently:
>
> 2007-04-17 13:34:10 SMTP protocol synchronization error (next input sent
> too soon: pipelining was advertised): rejected "" H=(******) [******]

Sorry, we can't help you since you replaced the host addresses and the message
content in this log entry with stars (*).

But you're saying that "next input" is the beginning of the message (i.e. the
first header line)? I thought Exim didn't even enforce synchronization at
that point until just recently. Can you supply more log lines? It may help if
you set log_selector = +all.

> I'm fine with exim rejecting the message; however the message gets
> delivered nonetheless to my local mailbox. The problem is then that the
> remote host will continue retrying to deliver the message, each time
> failing it because of the same synchronization issue, and each time
> causing a (presumably incomplete) message to be delivered to the local
> mailboxes.
>
> The version used is 4.63. The configuration is quite similar to the
> example described in the manual.
>
> Am I doing something obvious wrong? How can I tell exim not to deliver
> messages that have been rejected in the first place?

You shouldn't have to. A synchronization error means a 554 (permanent failure)
from Exim and a dropped connection. It's quite impossible that Exim has
spooled the message the sync error pertains to. More likely, the sending host
successfully delivers a message, then does something that triggers the sync
error, and erroneously interprets the 554 as if the message were rejected.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)