Re: [exim] name of parameter; was update-exim4.conf.conf ...

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John W. Baxter
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] name of parameter; was update-exim4.conf.conf ...
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, John W. Baxter wrote:

> Philip, you'll also be retired before the major annoyance that will be
> caused by opening up domain names to non-ASCII (which seems to be
> steamrollering ahead). Good timing.

Exim has for some time supported UTF-8 domain names, experimentally.
However, it doesn't support the weird encodings that have been proposed
- I haven't kept up with the debate, so I don't know what has finally
been agreed.

But I've recently grown very skeptical about this whole issue if the new
arrangement is going to allow registration of names like amazon.com
where the o in amazon is not an oh, but an omicron, which looks the same
as an oh when displayed. That really will be the largest can of worms
ever. We have enough trouble with o/0/O 1/l etc. already.