Re: [exim] name of parameter; was update-exim4.conf.conf ...

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] name of parameter; was update-exim4.conf.conf ...
On 30/03/07, John W. Baxter <jwblist3@???> wrote:
> On 3/30/07 8:41 AM, "Easthope" <peasthope@???> wrote:
>
> > mh> ... renaming would be a terrible pain.
> >
> > The procedure which seems to work elsewhere is
> > to introduce the better name as an alias for
> > the bad name. After a year or two with both
> > names recognized and the new name in the stock
> > configuration, people become aware of the new
> > name. Then you can warn that the old name will
> > be omitted and eventually omit it.
>
> By Philip's practice, the old name would be a candidate for removal at major
> version update time. Of course, Philip will be retired before the next one
> of those, so the new Exim shepherds will get to make the call.

Actually this thread was about the name of a parameter in the Debian
config system, so it's not within either Philip's or the new
shepherds' scope. My request to take the discussion to the Debian list
went unheeded....

> Philip, you'll also be retired before the major annoyance that will be
> caused by opening up domain names to non-ASCII (which seems to be
> steamrollering ahead). Good timing.

Hmmm, we're all looking forward to that, I'm sure :-(

Peter
--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter@???