Re: [exim] Vacation messages

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Vacation messages

--On 17 January 2007 09:58:35 +0000 Philip Hazel <ph10@???>
wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Ian Eiloart wrote:
>
>> We make extensive use of Exim filters for vacation messages. Recently
>> our local county council has started using prvs return-paths, and
>> testing for them.
> [snip]
>>
>> Is there a way that I can use an envelope recipient address that's
>> different from the address in the To: header?
>
> Put the envelope address in Bcc, don't specify To, but do add a To:
> header using extra_headers. Untested kludge, but should work, I think.

I finally got around to testing this, like this:

mail
 text "This is an automatic reply...."
    extra_headers "To: $reply_address"
    bcc $return_path
    once s/shuf6.once
    log s/shuf6.log
    subject "Auto: $h_subject"
    once_repeat 7d
    from shuf6

Unfortunately, the reply goes to both $reply_address and $return_path.
Often that will be the same place, but part of the point of the exercise is
to avoid generating vacation messages directed at undeliverable addresses.

Oh, and it's just occurred to me that doing this risks getting unsubscribed
from mailing lists, though that's less likely since I'm using the 'if
personal' condition.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex