Re: [pcre-dev] State of the SVN repository

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
著者: Philip Hazel
To: Daniel Richard G.
CC: pcre-dev
新しいトピック: Re: [pcre-dev] Replies to many, again
題目: Re: [pcre-dev] State of the SVN repository
On Sun, 25 Mar 2007, Daniel Richard G. wrote:

> * Need to either drop the LICENSE file, or replace it with a short "Please
> see licensing terms in COPYING" message. Having two copies of the
> software license is asking for trouble.

I don't want to drop it - I don't think the name COPYING is one which
obviously suggests "this is where to look for the licence" to somebody
who comes to this fresh. Having the two files hasn't caused any trouble
so far. :-) Personally, I'd be more inclined to have COPYING point to
LICENCE than the other way round, if we have only one. Of course, there
is also the LICENCE vs LICENSE issue...

> * All the files generated/added by the autogen bootstrap (configure,
> install-sh, etc.) need to be removed, as those don't belong in a
> versioned repository. Human-edited files only. (Standard MO is to pull
> down the repository, and have autogen.sh generate everything needed.)

Well, if I can figure out a complete list, I'll do that.

> * The autogen.sh file needs to be marked as executable.

My local copy is. How do I change the svn copy?

> Also: Nigel mentioned that Exim has a commit script enforcing version-tag
> properties---that would probably be good to have here as well. I'm less in
> favor of enforcing no tabs, but something guarding against trailing
> whitespace would be nice to throw in.

Tabs are much more of a PITA than trailing spaces, IMO. I never use
them. Well, unless I'm forced to by idiotic specifications such as that
of Makefiles. I'm not the only person who thinks this. There is a nice
description of what chaos they can cause here:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-January/183758.html

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.