Re: [exim] relay not permitted, but exim -d -bh ip_number sa…

Author: Oliver Howe
To: Dave Evans
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] relay not permitted, but exim -d -bh ip_number says it should be accepted

i seem to have found the problem.

it turns out that there were some sendmail processes running on the server too. i had thought that by replacing /usr/sbin/sendmail with a symbolic link to /usr/local/exim/bin/exim that that wouldnt happen but it seemed that both exim and sendmail were running (which explained the "socket bind() to port 25 for address (any IPv4) failed: Address already in use: waiting before trying again" messages that I was seeing - was going to be my next question).

so i stopped sendmail, and now connections from those ip numbers are being allowed

--

Oliver Howe
Senior Systems Administrator

Tel: +44 (0) 79 7420 6484
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7664 7878

Spider Networks - the power behind interactive web communications - www.spider-networks.net

--
Confidentiality Notice: This email is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender IMMEDIATELY; you should not copy the email or use it for any purpose or disclose its contents to any other person. General Statement: Any statements made, or intentions expressed in this communication, may not necessarily reflect the view of Spider Networks, that no content herein may be held binding upon Spider Networks or any associate or any associated company unless confirmed by the issuance of a formal contractual document or purchase order.