Re: [pcre-dev] Here is pcre-7.1-RC1 for you to play with

Góra strony
Autor: Philip Hazel
Dla: Daniel Richard G.
CC: pcre-dev
Temat: Re: [pcre-dev] Here is pcre-7.1-RC1 for you to play with
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Daniel Richard G. wrote:

> Yes, but not special in a useful way. If you're working in ISO-8859-2, then
> 0xC0 is "CAPITAL LETTER R WITH ACUTE ACCENT", not "CAPITAL LETTER A WITH
> GRAVE". The Latin-1 table may map to Unicode exactly, but without character
> conversion, it's still only applicable to Latin-1 locales.

True. It's a mess. I *know* it's an unsolvable mess, so why do I try to
sort it? (Don't answer.)

> Aaaaand... anyone operating in non-UTF-8, non-Latin-1 mode will get
> incorrect results :(
>
> Again I say, have the distributed table cover ASCII only, and rely on
> proposal #2 below to support those who want something locale-specific.

Yes, I think you are probably right. Sigh.

> Compiler invocations in the configuration script are strictly for running
> tests, however. The rules and dependencies relating to dftables and
> pcre_chartables.c belong in a/the makefile.
>
> If anything, we can have the configure script export a CC_FOR_BUILD-ish
> variable with a host compiler. I'm not sure what the relevant conventions
> are here w.r.t. Autotools, but we're certainly not the first ones in this
> position.

OK, I'll try to learn some more about Autotools - this does have to be
addressed somehow, unless we say "If you want to cross-compile, you must
not set --enable-rebuild-chartables; if you need other character tables,
you can build dftables.c independently and run it manually before you do
the real build." I could live with that.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.