Re: [exim] Exim behind firewall

Author: Marco Wessel
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim behind firewall

On Mar 16, 2007, at 12:54 AM, Rodrigo Haces wrote:

> As I undestand, a smarthost is another reachable SMTP that handles
> to send the e-mails to its destiny, but inside my local network
> (what is reachable without a proxy) there is no other smtp
> reachable without this proxy

Then you need to set one up, or have someone else (your network
administrator) do that. An SMTP proxy is the same as a smart host: it
accepts mails and sends them onwards. You can't use an HTTP or FTP
proxy for SMTP because they don't understand the protocols. Try
seeing if your HTTP proxy also accepts SMTP by doing

telnet ip.of.http.proxy 25

and checking if it accepts the connection and gives you an smtp banner.