Re: [exim] Exim behind firewall

Author: Renaud Allard
To: Rodrigo Haces
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim behind firewall

Rodrigo Haces wrote:
> Hi All, i'm running an exim server (3.36) in an Ubuntu server, i just installed exim and works OK for local mails, but if i want to send an e-mail to a real e-mail address i cant do it, the reason is that i need a proxy with authentification to go out to the world. I have correctly make work other programs, like wget, just by setting the variables http_proxy="http://USER:PASSWORD@proxyserver.com:port/" and ftp_proxy-.... but i guess exim doesn't take this variables in consideration so my question is, Is there a way that i can tell exim to use those proxy servers when he is sending e-mails to internet?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Rodrigo

Hi,

I don't think this is a good idea to run an SMTP server behind a so
restrictive firewall. If you don't have access to the web for a mail
server, this generally means you don't have to. Furthermore, if the
proxy is well configured it should not let you go out on port 25.

However you could google a little bit for an "http tunnel proxy to
smtp". I haven't tried http://www.ohardt.com/mailbridge/ but it may help
you. and act as a smarthost.