Re: [exim] 3.34 time zone change

Author: Chris Thompson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] 3.34 time zone change
Jethro R Binks <jethro.binks@???> wrote:

> I didn't see where the original poster was from, but the rules for DST
> changes in the USA changed, and some operating systems needed updates to
> ensure they handled it properly. See here for some on the fallout:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/12/y2k7_bug/

"After [this year], the next time-related computer panic will be 2038,
when programs that use the POSIX time representation (common in Unix
systems) hit the limits of that representation."

The _next_ time-related panic? That seems monumentally unlikely! Who
predicted the US-DST panic even a couple of years ago? (Of course, on
this side of the pond we're laughing about the whole thing: "we went
through that back in 1995".)

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/13/y2k7_bug_feedback/
>
> Roll on 2038.

And how about 03:13:04 on 5 Dec 3769, when time_t reaches 62^6 and
Exim message-ids start getting reused? The end of civilisation as
we know it!

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1@???