Re: [exim] Blackhole Email question

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Blackhole Email question
On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 23:58 -0500, Tom Ray [Lists] wrote:
> Hey there, I have two big domains that have been around for a long time
> (10 years each at least) and I just convinced both owners of each of the
> domains to turn off their damn catch-alls finally. Now I'm running into
> the issue of the machine rejecting a ton of users that no longer "exist".
>
> My question is this, I could put a catch all back and just forward all
> the nonsense to a unused account, but I was wondering how do I black
> hole an email so it's gone from the server completely?

If you're running Exim version 3, add a configuration line of
"receiver_verify" somewhere near the top of your config and restart
Exim.

Then, spend some time upgrading to Exim version 4.66 since v3 is old,
deprecated and likely to cause you other problems.

That done (or if you already are running 4.x), put "require verify =
recipient" in the RCPT ACL and restart Exim.

The nonexistent recipients will then be rejected instead of
accepted-and-bounced.

Graeme