Re: [exim] retry time not reached for any host after a long …

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period
On 11/03/07, Marten Lehmann <lehmann@???> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what means a line like this:
>
> 2007-03-11 06:16:57 1HQGQL-00041b-7z ** pf000@???
> <pf002@???> R=mailbox_cyrus T=mailbox_lmtp: retry time not
> reached for any host after a long failure period

It means that delivery to the destination in question has been failing
for longer that the retry period you've got specified, so Exim fails
the delivery.

> The user exists, it works fine when I'm doing a manual lmtp-session.
>
> A "exim -bt pf000@???" returns
>
> pf000@???
>     <-- default@???
>   router = mailbox_cyrus, transport = mailbox_lmtp

> a "exim -bt pf002@???" returns
>
> pf000@???
>     <-- default@???
>     <-- pf002@???
>   router = mailbox_cyrus, transport = mailbox_lmtp

> and a "exim -bt default@???" returns
> pf000@???
>     <-- default@???
>   router = mailbox_cyrus, transport = mailbox_lmtp

> What does this mean?

None of those tests attempt a delivery - they test that the address is
routeable. Which you already knew, because the message that failed was
in the queue.

You need to look at log entries for attempts to deliver to that
destination, and if that doesn't tell you anything, try a delivery
with -d enabled.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer