Re: [pcre-dev] Creating a distribution

Góra strony
Autor: Craig Silverstein
Dla: pcre-dev
CC: pcre-dev, skunk
Temat: Re: [pcre-dev] Creating a distribution
} This raises the more general question of what the distribution
} actually is. I've always thought of it as a distribution for users,
} not for maintainers, but it seems as though you and others think
} differently.

I think there's a third category, which is distribution maintainers.
I guess one goal of the .tar.gz is that it's easy for the debian
maintainer (say) to download it and make a good .deb file out of it.
They won't want to make a new release, but they may want to do tweaks.

} By that argument, we should then also rename pcre.h as pcre.h.manual
} in the tarball. What is the consensus on this? Please let's get it
} settled so that I don't have to keep on editing README and
} NON-UNIX-USE.

I vote for config.h.in and pcre.h.

But really, I think everything we're doing now is pretty minor. No
matter what choices we make, folks will be fine with it, and if not
it's not so critical it can't wait until the next release. I don't
think any of these decisions really need to be holding up making a new
release. (Not saying they are, just saying they shouldn't start :-) ).

} There certainly shouldn't be any mixing and matching. All I want to

In that case, I think protecting stuff in config.h with '#ifdef' is
unnecessary.

craig