Re: [pcre-dev] Creating a distribution

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
著者: Craig Silverstein
To: ph10
CC: pcre-dev
題目: Re: [pcre-dev] Creating a distribution
} Anyone like to comment on this?

I'd say anything that's simple enough to put into the actual
distribution without too much trouble, should do so. The idea is that
if people download the distribution and make local changes, it would
be nice to make it as easy as possible for them to do that properly.
So if I download pcre and want to change the docs to add some
site-specific info, it would be nice if make could update the html
docs for me automatically.

For things like making the ucptable, where the input isn't part of the
distribution, it makes less sense to include it in the distribution
directly.

Then again, my bias is to always give the person downloading the
.tar.gz, as much info as possible. That's why I stuck every text file
you could think of into the doc directory. I figure it can't hurt,
and may well help.

But I don't have strong feelings. If you guys want to leave stuff out
of that dir, fine by me.

} [*] A new preparatory thing has been suggested by someone who builds
} PCRE by hand (i.e. without the Autotools). I have already arranged
} that config.h is included in the distribution to help with this
} case. The suggestion is that every #define in config.h should be
} wrapped with #ifndef/#endif so that he can use -D on the compiler
} command line to override without having to edit config.h. This can
} easily be done as part of the PrepareRelease script.

Enh, I'm not a big fan. The lcilent should either use config.h, in
which case they can edit it to their heart's content, or they should
not use config.h, in which case they can just specify everything they
care about on the commandline. This mixing-and-matching is, I think,
asking for trouble.

I disagree with the other comment, btw, that we should rename config.h
to config.h.manual. I'd like it if things had a chance of Just
Working out of the box, even for people who can't run ./configure.

That suggests, I think, that the default config.h we put in the
distro, in addition to being really well commented, should have
reasonable defaults for, say, a windows system. :-)

craig