Re: [exim] Planning MBOX to MAILDIR Migration

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Planning MBOX to MAILDIR Migration
Quoting W B Hacker:

>>> The 'classical' has them as subdirs under .INBOX, and/or further
>>> subdirs under subdirs etc. ad (some finite, but arbitrarily large, OS
>>> & fs-sepcific) limit.
>> Can folders have subfolders, defined in a recursive fashion? The answer
>> is no.
> I'd have to re-install it to determine if it will *present* it if it
> finds it in place (created by Exim, for example), but I suspect it will
> do so.
> Dovecot certainly does, and it is not alone. Some others do not.

This is not true (at least for the current rc, but it would surprise me
if this was different in a previous version).

> conducive# ls /data/mail/conducive.org/wbh/Maildir

reformatted to match the layout in your MUA:

> .INBOX
> .INBOX.Suspect
> .Sent
> .Trash
> .Suspect

I don't see any folder having a subfolder. Even if there were, they are
obviously not shown in your MUA. You just proved yourself wrong.

Or did you mean IMAP subfolders? That's what the separator is used for
(mentioned in the quoted part you *snip*ped away). It's pretty obvious
that IMAP subfolders are not represented by file system subfolders.