Re: [exim] Planning MBOX to MAILDIR Migration

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Planning MBOX to MAILDIR Migration
Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> Quoting W B Hacker:
>
>> The 'classical' has them as subdirs under .INBOX, and/or further subdirs under
>> subdirs etc. ad (some finite, but arbitrarily large, OS & fs-sepcific) limit.
>
> http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/README.maildirquota.html:
> --- cut --
> Can folders have subfolders, defined in a recursive fashion? The answer
> is no.

*snip*

Sam is the unquestioned oracle on Courier as-it-is-intended-to-be-used, and
true, AFAIK, courier-imap will not 'create' such a subdir structure.

I'd have to re-install it to determine if it will *present* it if it finds it in
place (created by Exim, for example), but I suspect it will do so.

Dovecot certainly does, and it is not alone. Some others do not.

======

conducive# ls /data/mail/conducive.org/wbh/Maildir

.INBOX                  .Sent                   .Trash
.subscriptions          dovecot-keywords        dovecot.index
dovecot.index.log       new                     tmp
.INBOX.Suspect          .Suspect                .customflags            cur
                 dovecot-uidlist         dovecot.index.cache
dovecot.index.log.2     subscriptions

======

conducive# ls /data/mail/conducive.org/wbh/Maildir/.Suspect

.customflags            .imap.index.data        .imap.index.tree
dovecot-keywords        dovecot.index           dovecot.index.log       new
.imap.index             .imap.index.log         cur
dovecot-uidlist         dovecot.index.cache     dovecot.index.log.2     tmp

=====

Screenshot attachment of what it looks like in the MUA may not 'convey' over
Mailman, but the two '.Suspect' folders are in the expected, and different
places, and each serves its assigned task.

NB: Dovecot also handles file links so that a 'helpdesk' manager can have
oversight of staff/client correspondence as if they were his own folders. Those
links and their privs are manually created, of course, but if need be....

'The difficult done immediately....' etc.

Bill