Re: [exim] Specifying error codes for deny or defer

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Specifying error codes for deny or defer
On 28/02/07, Michael L Griffin <milegrin@???> wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I had a very similar question a few weeks backs and other than a lot
> reasons why it is a bad idea, I never really got an answer I was able
> to get working. (being a noob - I am struggling)
>
> To repeat my then question, like Luca I would like to be able send
> custom bounce message but through " :fail: <err_code> <message>" which
> is added to the aliases file (or in my case; MySQL database) and via
> ACL's / routers.
>
> In my 3.6 installtion that I am wanting to upgrade, this is
> possible, except for the err_code which is new to 4.6, and it used
> with great effect.
>
> EG : mail sent to joe.soap@??? has an alias of ":fail:
> joe.soap@??? is no longer valid, please contact
> sales@???" (I want to add the err_code once upgraded to 4.6x)
> which then gets a 550 bounce with the applicable message.
>
> I have bean searching trying to find where ":fail:" is handled in my
> 4.6x config with no luck.

Not absolutely sure what the question is here.... but :fail: is a
special token you can use in redirect data to cause Exim to fail the
message (if veriifying) or create a bounce (if delivering). The router
which handles your aliases will process this if it has 'allow_fail'
set. But it looks from the above that you already knew this.....

You can read about it at
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.66/doc/html/spec_html/ch22.html#SECTspecitredli

(beware wrapping)

Peter