Re: [pcre-dev] Development Infrastructure

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Andrew Ho
To: pcre-dev
Oggetto: Re: [pcre-dev] Development Infrastructure
Hello,

Here are some unordered comments from the peanut gallery (I'm just the
guy who currently maintains the PCRE website.)

There is already a SourceForge repository I set up so that there would
be a high-bandwidth HTTP download source for PCRE (I find FTP to be
difficult to use behind a corporate firewall). I agree that using
SourceForge from a project maintainer's point of view is sometimes
annoying. (For example, setting up file releases is quite cumbersome.) I
have not, however, experienced any reliability issues. The SourceForge
repository is linked to from pcre.org. (I'm not advocating staying with
SourceForge, just pointing out some work was already done.)

I think either of CVS or SVN works great for source control and both are
free; but SVN fixes a few CVS nits and seems to have good momentum. (I
personally have more experience with CVS, but have found that the skills
carry over well from CVS to SVN.)

As a user, I find Trac and Bugzilla to be equally capable for tracking
bugs. I would guess Bugzilla is harder to set up and maintain on the
server side, though. But really I think it is the quality of the bug
reports, and of the folks who are doing the pruning/addressing of said
reports, that makes the difference, not the tracking system.

Humbly,

Andrew

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves                         Andrew Ho
  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe.                  andrew@???
  All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.          http://www.zeuscat.com/andrew/