Re: [exim] holding up deliveries for a specific domain betwe…

Author: Jason_Meers
To: Stefan Klatt
CC: Exim users mailing list
Subject: Re: [exim] holding up deliveries for a specific domain between 8am-8pm
Stefan Klatt wrote:
> Hello Jason,
>

>> I have a fully functional exim infrastructure that archives inbound and
>> outbound messages to a cryoserver mail archive, using an entry in a
>> system filter like this:
>>
>> unseen deliver cryouser@???
>>
>> complianceinternet.co.uk is the e-mail address used by cryoserver to
>> catch a copy of each message. The domain "complianceinternet.co.uk" is
>> routed via an literal IP address using a manualroute entry in my exim
>> config (to the cryoserver box which is on the same LAN).
>>
>> The problem is that a secondary cryoserver exists at my DR site which is
>> located at the other end of a WAN circuit which is also used for of
>> terminal services traffic between the two sites.
>>
>> Whenever the primary cryoserver receives a message from my exim box it
>> immediately replicates the message over the slow WAN link to the
>> secondary cryoserver, severely affecting the performance/latency over
>> the link. I have lots of unused bandwidth between 8pm-8am but how can I
>> apply some rules about when deliveries can take place?
>>

> What do you think about such a router after your router for copying
> emails and before your cyroserver-router?
>
> defer_router:
> driver = redirect
> domains = +defer_domains
> condition = ${if eq{{DEFER}{}{TRUE} {FALSE}}
> allow_defer
> data = :defer:
>

> if i want to "release" the queue i call exim with
>
> exim -D DEFER = X -qf
>
> you must extent your Retry Configuration for longer holding the emails.
> i use a similar router with LDAP requests for SMTP after POP.
>

> Mfg.
> Stefan Klatt

I'll try this.
Presumably if I create a new specific rule in my retry section for
"complianceinternet.co.uk" to retry say every 12 hours this would work
(and maybe add a cron job(s) just to help kick things along just after
8pm).

In my mind the logical way to achieve something like this would be to
have some kind of option in a transport that dictated the hours in which
the transport was allowed to deliver messages. You could then specify
different transports for different messages based on the criteria
matched in a router (which could be any of the huge range of options
currently available in a router now).

Would anybody else find this kind of "timed delivery" useful, even if
you don't particularly agree with the approach I suggested?

Does anyone think I should add this to the exim5 wishlist or am I just
an oddball?

Thanks
Jason_Meers
--