Re: [exim] smtp lost connection (again without removing deta…

Author: Peter Bowyer
Subject: Re: [exim] smtp lost connection (again without removing details)
On 15/02/07, Kind Az <kind@???> wrote:
> mail server taking too much time to connect
>
> _____
>
> For some reason, one of the servers can't connect to my mail server.
> Whenever a user tries to send email from that server to my server, the
> message won't go through and I see the following in the logs
> (var/log/exim/mainlog):
>
> 2007-02-15 08:55:52 SMTP connection from (uwo.ca) [129.100.74.146] lost
> while reading message data (header)
>

> this problem occurs only with this uwo.ca mail server (as far as I know).

Assuming there's no firewalling getting in the way, this problem is
often caused by incorrect setting of MTU size in your IP stack. Google
a bit for Exim+MTU.

The admins of uwo.ca should be able to help you.

> In fact, trying dnsreport.com tool on any of my server domains, I am getting
> the error message
>
> " ERROR: I could not complete a connection to any of your mailservers!
>
> ateer.com: Timed out [Last data sent: RCPT TO: ]

When I tried just now, neither of the authoritative DNS servers for
ateer.com has an IP address. This will stop a bit more than your email
working. But I see it's just recovered.

Flaky DNS, and caching of wrong DNS information, is a frequent cause
of email problems.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer