Re: [exim] RBL check - can modify Subject?

Author: Oliver Howe
To: Peter Bowyer
CC: Exim users mailing list
Subject: Re: [exim] RBL check - can modify Subject?
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:50:50 +0000 , "Peter Bowyer" <peter@???> wrote:
>On 14/02/07, Oliver Howe <oliverj@???> wrote:
>>

>> In the DNS black lists section is it possible to rewrite the message subject to say something like
>>
>> [SPAM] $subject
>>
>> if the sending host is found in a dnslist like spamhaus?
>> where $subject is the original message subject
>
>Yes - use add_header to add a 'X-New-Subject: [SPAM] $subject' header,
>and replace Subject with X-New-Subject in a router. You'll have to do
>this in the DATA acl.

ok -thanks for helping.

>> I'm asking as gmail.com has found itself on one such list,
>
>What list, as a matter of interest?

PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550-rejected because
64.233.184.225 is in a black list at dnsbl.sorbs.net 550 Spam Received Recently See: http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?64.233.184.225

well, its google, not gmail.

also, i'm aware sorbs can be a tad heavy handed so i'm thinking i shouldnt block based on them alone, but rather add the [SPAM] header then let my users filter it to a sub-foldr automatically
and they can decide what to do with it. some of them, believe it or not, actually want to receive all such messages.

>> currently I deny all messages. I'd rather not just add an X-Warning header only.
>
>Unless you're content to outsource the whole of your blocking policy
>to perhaps multiple third-parties, it's sensible to have a whitelist
>facility for just this kind of circumstance, which will bypass one or
>more DNSBL checks for a list of sending IPs, or SPF-pass or
>Domainkeys-pass sending domains.

i'll look into it. thanks again.