Re: [exim] [n@@b question] delete email if 550 error

Author: Exim users mailing list
To: Peter Bowyer
CC: Exim users mailing list
Subject: Re: [exim] [n@@b question] delete email if 550 error
On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 21:27 +0000, Peter Bowyer wrote:
> You could circumvent the problem completely by turning off the backup
> MX. Would you notice any degradation of service? I doubt it.

I've just been analysing our logs from a greylisting experiment, and it
turns out quite a few servers will give up delivery after 3 hours. so
if you can guarantee the server never will be down for more than 2
hours, you won't lose mail. we don't keep postmasters on 24/7, so this
could very well happen, although we hope it never will due to the
redundancy in our setup. a backup MX isn't that hard to set up, anyway.
(I don't see why the OP doesn't simply turn on spam filtering on the
backup MX.)

--
Kjetil T.