Re: [exim] [patch] "do nothing" ACL modifier

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [patch] "do nothing" ACL modifier
On 2/7/07 8:53 AM, "David Woodhouse" <dwmw2@???> wrote:

> Do we have to take the hackish approach of doing a lookup
> to check if we find the object we just tried to insert?

As one who wrote a (Python) script which now and then crashed our master
LDAP server (whichever server was the master at the time, and openLDAP) when
inserting a new user, I'm nervous about that approach. The script inserted
the data then immediately read some of it out to display as a result.

After several needs to rebuild, I finally associated what I had just done
with the slapd crash which corrupted the database (fortunately without
inducing slurpd to send out the corruption to the other servers).

I just put in a brief delay between writing the data and reading it back and
all was well. Then, of course, we rationalized our account creation and
stopped using the script...within about 6 weeks of the fix.

--John