Re: [exim] Making $pipe_addresses a real variable?

Author: Matthew Hodgson
To: 'Exim-users'
Subject: Re: [exim] Making $pipe_addresses a real variable?
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Matthew Hodgson wrote:
>
>> Isn't $recipients already used to describe the recipients on the initial
>> submitted envelope, rather than those which finally get passed in a batch
>> to a transport?
>
> Yes, but at present it is not defined in a transport. It is only defined
> in a system filter and in ACLs. So I thought it kind of made sense to
> use the same name in a transport. But for less ambiguity, a new name
> could be invented; $transport_recipients, perhaps?

Fair enough :)

>> Are there any technical limitations as to why accessing the addr array
>> of address_items as passed to deliver.c:deliver_local() couldn't be
>> accessed directly as a variable rather than only through the
>> $pipe_addresses magic in transport.c:transport_set_up_command()? If
>> not, then I might have a shot at writing a patch.
>
> I don't think there's any problem with it. Somehow the list would have
> to be made available to the expansion functions.

Looking through the code, it seems that there's already a global variable
potentially suitable for this - deliver_recipients, initialised in
deliver.c:deliver_set_expansions(), which currently seems to be unused.
Was the intention for this to be made available as an expansion variable
(through a wrapper of some kind to turn the list into a comma delimited
string), or would it be an abuse for me to make use of it for such a
purpose?

thanks,

Matthew.