Re: [exim] Persistent storage per-message

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Persistent storage per-message
Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> Quoting Matthew Hodgson:
>
>> ACL based verification only seems to happen currently when the MTA
>> receives a message through SMTP - is there a way to ensure it happens
>> during local submission too? I'd obviously need the same behaviour
>> regardless of the protocol by which the message arrived.
>
> I guess not, as there's no way to individually reject or defer
> recipients with not_smtp.

Quoting the acl_not_smtp_start docs, emphasis mine;

"...The result of this ACL is ignored; it cannot be used to reject a message. If
you really need to, *you could set a value in an ACL variable here and reject
based on that* in the acl_not_smtp ACL...."

Now - 'per recipient?' Challenging, but on 'cross box' traffic, I see little
harm in batching one at a time, as there is no smtp sesson handshake, retry
delay, etc. as there could be if limiting smtp acceptance to one-at-a-time.
(I say 'could' rather that 'would' as singleton smtp arrivals are common anyway.)

Bill