Re: [exim] TLS errors on SMTP (non-AUTH) connections

Author: Vincent Danen
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] TLS errors on SMTP (non-AUTH) connections
* W B Hacker <wbh@???> [2007-02-02 02:38:17 +0800]:

> >> If the logging is even moderatey verbose, a far-end sender-verification attempt
> >> should show up between your 'Mail From' to them and <whatever is timing out>.
> >>
> >> Can you tell what MTA they are using?
> >
> > Yeah, they're using exim 4.63 (I'm using 4.5x). I thought it would be a
> > sender-verification request too, but that doesn't explain why it worked
> > with the telnet "test" but fails when my exim talks to theirs.
> >

> Timing, perhaps?
>
> Ex: - if you have banner delay and they have a callout timeout that is hte same
> - or shorter, what with setup and link turnaround times..

I'm thinking this is it. But it doesn't look like they're doing sender
verification at all.

I read the "RCPT delays and PIPELINING" thread with much interest after
I wrote my last message on this where it seems that pipelining is being
the culprit here. I have no idea how their server is setup, but seems
like there are some delays there that interfere with pipelining (as I
did a manual esmtp connection, no STARTTLS, no PIPELINING, and it was
delivered).

So, the question is, can I disable pipelining for one particular host
(in the current exim)? Or disable pipelining for outbound mail
altogether?

I've got to read the manual on that one. I've never had to think about
pipelining before.

--
{FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4}
mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;