Re: [exim] Defining "Virtual"

Author: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Defining "Virtual"
On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 12:37 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> the inflationary use of the word "virtual" connected with almost
> everything has been accompanying this list, exim, the Debian exim
> pacakges and all support media. The latest occurence of this is Debian
> bug #408467 (http://bugs.debian.org/408467), where I was faced with
> insults after denying to install a "virtual" router to the Debian
> default configurations.
>
> To make communication about this a little easier, I would like to have
> more "formal" definition of a "virtual foo" in exim context. I have
> created the Wiki Page "Defining Virtual",
> http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/DefiningVirtual, and would like to
> solicit your comments and improvements.

the EximWiki isn't your (or anyone else's) personal soap box, get off
it, in other words: drop the comment that "virtual" is overused.
Wikipedia calls this the Neutral Point of View.

other than that, it looks good, although my own internal definition of
"virtual domain" isn't listed:

An e-mail server supports virtual domains whenever it supports domains
in addition to the domain the server itself is located in, and can
handle addresses in each domain separately.

(not the most lucent definition, I guess...)
--
Kjetil T.