Re: [exim] Callout issue.

Author: Renaud Allard
To: Dave H, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Callout issue.

> Dave H wrote:
>> Oops!
>> My apologies all, I'm not on any tech support mailing lists and wasn't aware of the etiquette.
>>
>> As a key:
>> Company a = dcarbon8.com
>> Company b = co2e.com
>> Company c = angryfish.com
>> Company d = espeed.com
>>
>>     SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<BBaldridge@???>:
>>     host smtp-gw.x-mailer.co.uk [213.253.170.46]:
>>     550-Recipient verification failed (recipient) Callout verification failed:
>>     550 550 #5.1.0 Rejected by bounce verification.

> Well, espeed.com uses non RFC compliant mail servers as they don't
> accept bounces. But to solve your problem, you should maybe only do a
> recipient callout on domains you own or relay mail for.
>
> deny
> domains = +local_domains : +relay_to_domains
> !verify = recipient/callout=60s
>
> instead of only
> deny
> !verify = recipient/callout=60s
>
> Or you can also use a recipient callout using the sender name
> (/use_sender), but I don't really see the point of doing a recipient
> callout on foreign domains.

On a side note, I was maybe little bit too fast when I said they are not
RFC compliant. Maybe they just have some kind of bounce verification,
and only "signed" return-paths are accepted. However, their don't even
accept EHLO, which is a requirement for "recent" mail servers (but they
probably have a Cisco PIX with ""fixup""-smtp-protocol activated).