Re: [exim] Callout issue.

Author: Renaud Allard
To: Dave H
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Callout issue.

Dave H wrote:
> Oops!
> My apologies all, I'm not on any tech support mailing lists and wasn't aware of the etiquette.
>
> As a key:
> Company a = dcarbon8.com
> Company b = co2e.com
> Company c = angryfish.com
> Company d = espeed.com
>
>     SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<BBaldridge@???>:
>     host smtp-gw.x-mailer.co.uk [213.253.170.46]:
>     550-Recipient verification failed (recipient) Callout verification failed:
>     550 550 #5.1.0 Rejected by bounce verification.

> despite dcarbon8's email being managed by angryfish, the servers are owned by dsvr.com
> smtp-gw.x-mailer.co.uk is, I believe, the link to the outside world from dsvr.
>
> The telnet sessions I attempted were.
>
> telnet mail-ip.cantor.com 25
> Trying 148.106.1.97...
> Connected to mail-ip.cantor.com (148.106.1.97).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 ***************************
> HELO dcarbon8.com
> 250 mail-ip-in.cantor.com
> MAIL FROM:<>
> 250 sender <> ok
> RCPT TO:<AJakubowski@???>
> 550 #5.1.0 Rejected by bounce verification.
>
> I then tried
>
> telnet mail-ip.cantor.com 25
> Trying 148.106.1.97...
> Connected to mail-ip.cantor.com (148.106.1.97).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 ***************************
> HELO dcarbon8.com
> 250 mail-ip-in.cantor.com
> MAIL FROM:<carl@???>
> 250 sender <carl@???> ok
> RCPT TO:<AJakubowski@???>
> 250 recipient <AJakubowski@???> ok
> DATA
> 354 go ahead
> Subject:Test from dave@???
> Please email dave@??? if this is received
>
> .
> 250 ok: Message 21723617 accepted
> QUIT
> 221 mail-ip-in.cantor.com
>
> mail-ip.cantor.com is the first mx record for co2e.com
>
> Apologies for the masking of details, Thankyou Marc for making me aware of this.

Well, espeed.com uses non RFC compliant mail servers as they don't
accept bounces. But to solve your problem, you should maybe only do a
recipient callout on domains you own or relay mail for.

deny
domains = +local_domains : +relay_to_domains
!verify = recipient/callout=60s

instead of only
deny
!verify = recipient/callout=60s

Or you can also use a recipient callout using the sender name
(/use_sender), but I don't really see the point of doing a recipient
callout on foreign domains.