Re: [exim] Sender verification, permanent vs. transient erro…

Author: Stephen Gran
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Sender verification, permanent vs. transient error codes
On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 04:02:36PM -0800, Eric Messick said:
> I'm having trouble sending email to a domain that uses exim 4.63. The
> problem occurs with sender verification.
>
> I snooped the packets on my outgoing smtp server and saw the following
> exchange:

You don't show the timestamps on the packets, so I can't say for sure,
but how long between handshake and FIN? They may have a callout set up
with a timeout shorter than it takes your server to send the banner
(e.g., if you use delays before the banner is up, or you do rDNS checks,
or anything else). Knowing that the whole conversation happened roughly
immediately would rule that out, or provide another avenue for
investigation.

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | The first Rotarian was the first man to |
|  steve@???             | call John the Baptist "Jack."   -- H.L. |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Mencken                                 |