Re: [exim] Sender verification, permanent vs. transient erro…

Author: Eric Messick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Sender verification, permanent vs. transient error codes
First off, thanks for looking at this. It's getting to be quite frustrating
for me.

On 1/24/07, Magnus Holmgren <holmgren@???> wrote:

> That's strange. I tested from sesame (the www.exim.org box) and got
> through
> fine. I can see the sender verification in Exim's log.

Did you do a sender verify callout to syzygy.com? Or just telnet? Or did
you send email TO exim.org and look in the log there? Sorry, I'm just not
sure what you did.

> Well, I looked at :
> >
> > http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.00/doc/html/oview.html#SEC21
>
> That document is massively outdated. Some information may still be valid,
> though.

I *think* that's a good thing... Anyway, I'm glad to know it.

This talks about sender verification and the subsequent possible rejection
> after the DATA command. As you never got that far, it doesn't apply.

So, still there's no clue as to what the actual problem is. Perhaps they
have more info in their logs. I should ask them to check.

> Since my MAIL FROM command is being accepted, and the RCPT TO is being
> > rejected, I'm guessing that I've landed in this DBM database. I know
> that
> > qmail is retrying these messages.
>
> This is something Exim 3.00 apparently was doing. Exim 4.63 has way more
> flexibility; thus you can't draw any conclusions as to whether you've
> ended
> up in any database. Usually callout verification is done after RCPT TO and
> there is no such database at all.

Yes, the callout is being done right after the RCPT TO. Do you find it
strange that they're closing the connection without even waiting for my
first byte of data? Or is that the way sender verification is supposed to
work?

I could see value in it either way, so I'm not sure which exim does. My
impression is that it's supposed to submit an address and act based on my
response to that address. Since it's clearly not doing that, it looks to me
like something is broken on their end. But I don't know enough about this
to be sure.

So sorry, the rest of your mail is irrelevant as well.

> I can't say for sure where the problem lies. Perhaps they had a temporary
> problem. Maybe someone else on this list has a similar configuration so
> that
> you can test against their server.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to their configuration data, so I don't
know how to tell if I'm talking to someone set up the same way.

I've tried to get them to look into this, but I think they're convinced
there's a problem on my end. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a problem
on my end as well, but it sure looks to me like they've got a problem.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that for me based on what I've
posted so far, or anything else I could provide.

Again, I'm not running exim on my side, so I'm not very familiar with it.
I'm running qmail.

Thanks again,

-eric