Re: [exim] making my HELO = my RDNS

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] making my HELO = my RDNS
On Thursday 25 January 2007 10:39, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> > > I believe the problem is that the option is being expanded before an
> > > actual connection is being established.
> >
> > Why don't we move that expansion to after the connection has been
> > established? I can't see any problem with that, except that the
> > expansion might fail and it doesn't look so good if Exim panics and
> > drops the connection.
>
> That seems plausible; Exim needn't drop the connection - it could just
> send QUIT instead of {EH/HE}LO. As part of this, we would have to invent
> two new variables for the outgoing interface. I propose
> $sending_ip_address and $sending_port, by analogy with the (new) names
> $received_ip_address and $received_port.

Quoting the Changelog:

| PH/43 Renamed the variables $interface_address and $interface_port as
|       $received_ip_address and $received_port, to make it clear that these
|       values apply to message reception, and not to the outgoing interface
|       when a message is delivered. (The old names remain recognized, of
|       course.)

If the variables were renamed only because they don't apply to the outgoing
interface, and we make it so they can apply to the outgoing interface as
well, then they would not have to be renamed, would they?

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)