Re: [exim] Firstname.lastname recognition

Author: Emmanuel Stapf [ES]
To: 'Jason_Meers'
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Firstname.lastname recognition
> 1) can you find the word "redirect" anywhere in your config?
> If so we need to see it to help you.

For the both the new and old server I have:

system_aliases:
driver = redirect
allow_fail
allow_defer
data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/aliases}}
user = exim
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe

userforward:
driver = redirect
check_local_user
file = $home/.forward
# allow_filter
no_verify
no_expn
check_ancestor
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe
reply_transport = address_reply

> 2) Do local accounts exist for each user you are trying to deliver to?
> (these won't have dots in them, most systems I've used wont
> allow dots in login names)

Yes, they exist.

> 3) Run the following on each server:
>  exim -bt firstname.lastname@???  <enter>
>    Does the output look different on each box?

With the new server I get:
exim -bt emmanuel.stapf@???
emmanuel.stapf@??? is undeliverable:
Unknown user

With the old server, I get:
exim -bt emmanuel.stapf@???
manus@???
    <-- emmanuel.stapf@???
  router = localuser, transport = local_delivery

> 4) What is the actual rejection message?

Here is the SMTP session with the error:

220 ESMTP Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:57:39 -0800
mail from: emmanuel.stapf@???
250 OK
rcpt to: manus@???
550-Verification failed for <emmanuel.stapf@???>