Re: [exim] Blocking hosts without MX/A records in DNS

Author: John Burnham
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Blocking hosts without MX/A records in DNS

> Luca Bertoncello <bertoncello@???> (Mo 08 Jan 2007
> 11:16:14 CET):
> > Hi, list!
> >
> > In order to try to reduce the (huge!) quantity of daily
> spam, we want to
> > reject the E-Mails coming from domains which do NOT have a
> valid MX or
> > A record (aka: the domain does not exist, or is not fully
> configured).
> >
> > I thought, verify = sender do that, but it doesn't... :(
>
> How can you prove it? What tells you
>
>     exim -v -bv xyz@???

> with the address you want to block?

Don't forget that all verify does is go through the routers and sees if it is
possible to route it. One problem I've see people encounter is a manualroute
router that unconditionally sends all mail to a smarthost. Don't forget that you
can set routers to be ignored when verifying and set routers that are only used
for verifying.
John