Re: [exim] Using .forward files with .exim.

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Using .forward files with .exim.
On Saturday 30 December 2006 19:46, Robert Nicholson wrote:
> so if my .forward file looks like this
>
> # Exim filter
> if error_message then finish endif
> pipe $home/perlscripts/filter.pl
> #mail subject "message discarded"
> finish
>
> will it try to make any significant delivery?

See section 3.8 of the beforementioned specification, which says that 'The
delivery commands deliver, save, and pipe are by default significant.
However, if such a command is preceded by the word “unseen”, its delivery is
not considered to be significant. In contrast, other commands such as mail
and vacation do not set up significant deliveries unless preceded by the
word “seen”.'

In other words, your example aboves sets up a significant delivery except for
error messages (bounces), which will be delivered "normally". Note that the
decision to pipe the mail through filter.pl is made at routing time, meaning
that Exim won't try a different delivery if the perl script fails. If it
fails, the message will be returned to the sender unless the exit code
indicates a temporary failure (by default EX_TEMPFAIL (75)), in which case
Exim retries later, starting with the routing.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)