Re: [exim] How about an ACL before connecting?

Author: Marc Perkel
To: Peter Bowyer
CC: Exim, Users
Subject: Re: [exim] How about an ACL before connecting?

Peter Bowyer wrote:
> On 26/12/06, Graeme Fowler <graeme@???> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 10:01 +0000, Peter Bowyer wrote:
>>
>>> There would appear to be a few tools out there for this - I just had a
>>> quick look at
>>>
>>> http://wiki.duskglow.com/tiki-index.php?page=Packetbl
>>>
>>> which would probably do the job.
>>>
>> I was just going to reply suggesting that the netlink queues would be a
>> good place to do it, but that would require some serious work inside
>> Exim. And it looks like someone else had the idea already, anyway.
>> Thanks.
>>

> This is assuming Linux, and a reasonably recent kernel of course. I
> think that's OK for Marc?
>
> Peter

How about the ability to just drop a connection without an error code? I wonder if that's enough to fool Qmail.

Here's my problem. If Qmail tries the loweast MX record and gets a 4xx error then it keeps trying the lowest MX forever. If however if fails to connect at all then it will try the higher MX records. One of the things I do is that I do a defer on the lowest MX for bad rDNS forcing them to retry on the second MX where they will be accepted.

But - with Qmail - if the reverse IP is broken then they never get through. And Comcast has a lot of their servers with bad reverse dns and they use Qmail.

So I'm wondering if Exim just disconnected without any response if it would fool Qmail into retrying the higher MX.

Qmail really pisses me off.