Re: [exim] mysql_servers misadventure

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: John W. Baxter
CC: Exim Mailing List
Assumpte: Re: [exim] mysql_servers misadventure
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, John W. Baxter wrote:

> The reason for the unknown server was that, in the dim past, I had set the
> mysql_servers list up with localhost as the first server (OK), a
> fully-qualified name for the second (OK), but a bare host name for the
> third. It turns out that a fully-qualified name is needed here.

That *may* depend on the exact way the defaults for your resolver are
set. Or it may not - I can't remember the details -

> (Note: I haven't tried this with Exim 4.64; but I don't see anything in the
> ChangeLog which would change the results, and the text above comes from the
> 4.64 spec.txt file.)

- but I have a dim recollection of something that *might* be relevant -
ah yes, here it is, a change for 4.64:

PH/16 It seems that the options setting for the resolver (RES_DEFNAMES
      and RES_DNSRCH) can affect the behaviour of gethostbyname() and
      friends when they consult the DNS. I had assumed they would set it
      the way they wanted; and indeed my experiments on Linux seem to
      show that in some cases they do (I could influence IPv6 lookups
      but not IPv4 lookups). To be on the safe side, however, I have now
      made the interface to host_find_byname() similar to
      host_find_bydns(), with an argument containing the DNS resolver
      options. The host_find_byname() function now sets these options at
      its start, just as host_find_bydns() does. The smtp transport
      options dns_qualify_single and dns_search_parents are passed to
      host_find_byname() when gethostbyname=TRUE in this transport.
      Other uses of host_find_byname() use the default settings of
      RES_DEFNAMES (qualify_single) but not RES_DNSRCH (search_parents).

So please test with 4.64 before you Bugzilla.