Re: [exim] Return-path rewriting or removal at transport lev…

Author: stefano\.sabatini-lala
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Return-path rewriting or removal at transport level

wrote:
> > I'm trying to remove the Return-path from all the *outgoing*
> > mails. The following snippet configures my smarthost

transport:

> The Return-path: header is added only by the MTA which

finally delivers
> the mail into a user's mailbox -- and the value it

contains is the SMTP
> reverse-path; the address used in the 'MAIL FROM:<...>'

command.

> It's not surprising that some recipients are rejecting

your mail, if
> you're sending it with bogus return addresses. Investigate
> qualify_domain and rewrite rules and make sure your

reverse-paths are
> correct.

Thank you David for your reply.

Now I see which is my problem.

I would like to rewrite the header From and Envelope From
value for all the outgoing emails, and left unchanged the
emails sent locally to the system.

I can't do this at transport time (I can't rewrite the From
header value but not the Envelope from) and I cannot do this
at router time (because the headers_rewrite options simply
doesn't exist).

Thus the only thing that makes sense is to change it at
rewrite time, but only for the emails sent outside the system.

I would like to apply this rule at rewrite time:

# change the From header value (f) and the From envelope
value (F)
headers_rewrite = *@+local_domains \
"${lookup{${local_part}}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}
{$value}fail}" fF

but *only for the outgoing emails*, so I should check before
the recipient address, and eventually apply the rewriting rule.

Is it possible (and eventually how)?

PS Sorry for the bad formatting, but I'm currently using a
(painful) web interface for composing mails.

Cheers