[exim] spamd_address *has* to be an IP address?

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] spamd_address *has* to be an IP address?
Hello *,

my own stupidity or unability to read/understand the documentation? (exim 4.63)

    spamd_address = ssl.schlittermann.de 783

failed with 'network unreachable' (in the exim log) when exim tried to connect the spamd
server.

    spamd_address = 212.80.235.130 783

works.

The error message is somewhat confusing. And: I didn't understand from
the spec, that it has to be an *IP address*... And I do not see if this
option gets expanded (because I'd like to use a dnsdb lookup to get the
IP address).

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -