Re: [exim] making my HELO = my RDNS

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] making my HELO = my RDNS
* on the Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 01:09:14PM -0500, Anthony de Boer wrote:

>>> Is there a simple way to set my HELO to be the same as my RDNS?
>> 1. Check your reverse DNS with lookup dnsdb
>> 2. Set it with helo_data in your remote smtp transport.
>> 3. ???
>> 4. Profit!
> Fairly simple so long as the box has only one Internet-facing IP
> address and it has stable reverse DNS.

I already do what was described above. My remote_smtp router:

remote_smtp:
   debug_print        = "T: remote_smtp for $local_part@$domain"
   driver             = smtp
   helo_data          = ${lookup dnsdb{defer_never,ptr=$interface_address}{$value}{$primary_hostname}}
   interface          = $interface_address

It falls back to using the value of primary_hostname if the dns
lookup fails.

I do this to handle different 'suppliers' that sit on different
interfaces that want different welcome messages, helo's, received
headers etc etc.

Mike