Re: [exim] making my HELO = my RDNS

Author: Anthony de Boer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] making my HELO = my RDNS
Stanislaw Halik wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006, Marc Perkel wrote:
> > Is there a simple way to set my HELO to be the same as my RDNS?
>
> 1. Check your reverse DNS with lookup dnsdb
> 2. Set it with helo_data in your remote smtp transport.
> 3. ???
> 4. Profit!

Fairly simple so long as the box has only one Internet-facing IP
address and it has stable reverse DNS.

At one point a few years back I had to deal with a box that had multiple
interfaces whose names differed; some use of Linux iptables convinced it
that all outbound SMTP connections had to come from one particular IP
address, after which setting HELO to be that name was trivial.

Anyone trying to run a mailserver on a dynamic address would likely find
this sort of thing to be one of the many forms of grief they get.

--
Anthony de Boer