Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

--On 6 December 2006 09:40:31 +0000 Chris Lightfoot <chris@???>
wrote:

> `Over quota' is no more a permanent error than `disk full'
> or `load average too high'. It's certainly true that (a)
> the error condition could persist indefinitely, and (b) if
> it persists for too long the failing message should be
> returned to its sender, but that's a decision for the
> sender, not the recipient.

So, how about this for a hypothetical scenario.

Exim doesn't know about over quota mailboxes until it comes to delivery.
Therefore, over quota messages stick on my inbound mail queue, generating
warning messages and eventually bounces, all of which might well be spam
blowback. That bit is true.

Therefore I might like to create a daily script which checks for users who
have more than 20 inbound messages on the queue. For these, if their INBOX
is over quota, and hasn't been changed for 21 days, the script configures
exim to issue a 550 over quota error.

You don't like that? How about if I make it a thousand messages, and 180
days?

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex