Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors
* on the Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 09:25:33AM -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:

> And way to set exim up to conditionally retry on 550 errors instead of
> bounce. This would be a situation where I know the 550 souldn't have
> occurred and want to retry till the receiving host is fixed.

For a period of x after mail starts hitting your server for a domain for
the first time, perform recipient call outs to the destination machine
when an email comes in to yours. If the callout fails with a 5xx error,
defer it. When this starts happening, the customer will contact you to
find out where their email is. You'll see all the defers, and get them
to fix their end. Once it's fixed, their email should start coming
through.

Mike