Re: [exim] Exim4 Trouble on Debian - Newbie

Author: Benedek Frank
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4 Trouble on Debian - Newbie

>>momo-chan:/home/bfrank# ls -al /var/spool/exim4/db
>>total 28
>>drwxr-x---  2 Debian-exim Debian-exim  4096 2006-11-22 17:50 .
>>drwxr-x---  6 Debian-exim Debian-exim  4096 2006-11-25 19:51 ..
>>-rw-r-----  1 mail        mail        12288 2006-11-22 17:40 retry
>>-rw-r-----  1 mail        mail            0 2006-05-22 15:17
>>retry.lockfile
>>-rw-r-----  1 mail        mail        12288 2006-11-22 17:54
>>wait-remote_smtp
>>-rw-r-----  1 mail        mail            0 2006-11-22 17:50
>>wait-remote_smtp.lockfile

>>Should I change any of those permissions?

>All files in /var/spool/exim4/db should be owned by
>Debian-exim:Debian-exim.

Now it is. Thanks.

>May I ask why you decided to use sa-exim instead of exim's built-in
>content scanning interface?

Well, you can but I cannot answer, as I don't know :) I have just
decided to host my server, and I thought of getting to it as quick as
possible, and learn on the way. I choose a tutorial,
http://koivi.com/exim4-config/

Also, now my setup works, thanks for the text at

/usr/share/doc/clamav-daemon/README.Debian.gz

At the tutorial I read, is said I need to paste the following into

/etc/exim4/conf.d/acl/40_exim4-config_check_data

# Reject messages that have serious MIME errors.
# This calls the demime condition again, but it
# will return cached results.
deny message = Serious MIME defect detected ($demime_reason)
demime = *
condition = ${if >{$demime_errorlevel}{2}{1}{0}}

   # Reject file extensions used by worms.
   # Note that the extension list may be incomplete.
   deny message = This domain has a policy of not accepting certain
types of attachments \
                  in mail as they may contain a virus.  This mail has a
file with a .$found_extension \
                  attachment and is not accepted.  If you have a
legitimate need to send \
                  this particular attachment, send it in a compressed
archive, and it will \
                  then be forwarded to the recipient.
   demime = exe:com:vbs:bat:pif:scr

# Reject messages containing malware.
deny message = This message contains a virus ($malware_name) and has
been rejected
malware = *

When I removed this, and pasted the following as per the Readme.DEBIAN
suggest into the above mentioned config file, it started working.:

deny  message = This message contains a virus: ($malware_name) please
scan yo
ur system.
         demime = *
         malware = *

The permissions settings you suggested earlier got rid of one error
message, and the "deny message" changeover got rid of the remaining
problems, so now my setup is finctional.

Thank you all,

Ben