Re: [exim] deny message limit of 80 characters?

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] deny message limit of 80 characters?
On 11/22/06 2:20 AM, "chuckee" <mi6@???> wrote:

> I cannot seem to get Exim to send a deny message that is anything longer
> than 80 characters to Outlook or Outlook Express. Deny messages that are
> longer than 80 characters show up in some other email clients, but I want to
> know if there is any way that Outlook users can see anything more than 80
> characters.
> If the deny message that is sent to an Outlook user is even 1 character
> longer than 80 characters, then Outlook doesn't display any of the message
> at all!

MUAs differ so much in what they do that it is impractical to emit long
messages to them. Some show the first line of a multi-line message; some
show the last line; some show the whole thing. Because of the first two
possiiblities, there is no right place to put a single copy of the most
important information.

This is an area in which accepting then bouncing usually works better
(although then you can run into systems which convert any error into
something bland like unknown user). (Please, only accept then bounce when
accepting from MUAs, not other MTAs.)

Besides that, some go to great lengths to hide the fact that there was an
error (leading to support calls from Outlook Express users about "I can't
get my mail" when the real problem was that OE couldn't send a message, hid
the complaint, and then didn't try to retrieve mail).

--John