Re: [exim] valid blacklists I can use

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Robert Cates
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] valid blacklists I can use
On 2006-11-14 at 21:45 +0100, Robert Cates wrote:
> are these valid blacklists I can use in my exim configuration:

> I want to configure - deny dnslists = blackholes.mail-abuse.org :
> sbl.spamhaus.org : dialup.mail-abuse.org , like I found in the exim
> specifications but if that really works, I don't know, and can't tell.

<URL:http://people.spodhuis.org/phil.pennock/software/RBL-check.pl-v60>
MD5(RBL-check.pl-v60) =0eda7f56a842b8829894edc1cc3e669c
SHA1(RBL-check.pl-v60) =87c983dc743ddb5c97c90d7f86112b828b97f422

That one is what I invoke from cron for checking if my machine is on any
RBLs. "RBL-check.pl -q my.mail.machine.name". Call it with 127.0.0.2
to check whether the list works.

A key thing before you use _any_ RBL is to check whether or not the
operators are willing to let you use it -- check their web-site and see
what their policy is. This is the basic thing of not using other
peoples' resources without checking that it's okay.

For spamhaus.org you probably want to be using zen.spamhaus.org; see
<URL:http://www.spamhaus.org/zen/>; since you're interested in checking
dialup ranges, zen is more interesting for you since it will soon be
pulling in their PBL list too. PBL is interesting in that it allows for
self-removal: your ISP can put in a block and you can punch a hole in it
for your own machine if you're deliberately sending email directly.
This strikes me as the ideal compromise and so obvious in retrospect.

-Phil