Re: [exim] "all spamd servers failed" after updating to spam…

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] "all spamd servers failed" after updating to spamassassin 3.1.7-1
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 12:34:49 +0100, Marc Haber
<mh+exim-users@???> wrote:
>on November 7, I updated spamassassin on my personal Debian stable
>system from (a backported) 3.1.5 to (also backported) 3.1.7. In Debian
>terminology, a backport means that one takes a package from the
>unstable or testing distribution and rebuilds it for use on stable.
>
>Since that backup, I have numerous spamassassin-related error messages
>in my panic log:
>
>2006-11-07 09:38:11 1GhMTD-0002Ym-He spam acl condition: warning - spamd connection to 127.0.0.1, port 783 failed: Connection refused
>2006-11-07 09:38:11 1GhMTD-0002Ym-He spam acl condition: all spamd servers failed

I have to apologize. I didn't see that all of the error messages I
have seen were from a 20 minute window where spamassassin was indeed
not running at all. Debian updates stop all affected daemons first
thing in the update process, and start them after the update again. In
this case, the update stopped in the middle to ask a configuration
file question, and it took me like 20 minutes to notice. That way,
spamassassin was not running in that period of time, and exim barfed
correctly.

Sorry for raising this issue here, I should have been looking more
closely.

Case closed.

Greetings
Marc