Re: [exim-dev] UML Diagrams

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: David Woollard
CC: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] UML Diagrams
On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, David Woollard wrote:

> Hi there, I was wondering if there were any kind of UML diagrams or any
> other kind of design documentation for exim lying around ? I'm doing
> research for a college project. Any help you could give me would be
> fantastic !

The only design documentation for Exim is the comments that are
liberally strewn throughout the code. Many years ago I used to write
technical documentation for the programs I wrote; it went out of date
extremely rapidly, and being separate from the code was harder to
consult when editing. So I changed to writing what I thought was
necessary into the code itself. I do my best to keep the comments in
step with the code - often adding and amending them when people send me
patches that fail to touch the comments. For a program that is
continually being updated (and Exim isn't alone in being like that), I
now think this is the best way of trying to keep everything in step.
If I recall correctly, this is one of the techniques recommended by
"Extreme Programming".